Meet Kat and her beautiful kids Woody (4) and Penn (2) that you may very well recognize from our campaign shoots. From AW19 to undies to SS23, they are part of the Gray Label family from birth.
Kat is an incredibly talented artist and entrepreneur, living in the city center of Amsterdam. She just opened her own gallery/atelier/shop which you should all visit. Kat is one of our dearest Gray Label ambassadors and we are incredibly happy to have her taken part in our Home Stories.
Could you please introduce yourself and your family members? Where did the two of you meet? Where are you from? When did you move to Amsterdam?
"I am Kat, short for Katrina, and I live in the Jordaan together with Woody, Penn, and Robin. Originally, I'm from the south, specifically Eindhoven, where my parents still reside. I moved to Amsterdam when I was seventeen so I live here already 20 years, which is longer than I ever lived in Eindhoven, which makes me feel very old!!! Twelve years ago, on Kingsday, Robin and I finally met. We had mutual friends, but it seemed that our paths had never crossed until that moment. It's almost as if the timing wasn't right until then!"
Where do you live and how would you describe your neighborhood?
"We live on Hazenstraat, also known as the '10e straatje,' which is located near the Elandsgracht. Previously, we resided around the corner on Lauriergracht, so we have been in this neighborhood for 10 years now. Honestly, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Amsterdam. For us, this neighborhood is the best part of the city. It has a cozy village-like atmosphere with a variety of cool shops, grocery stores, and galleries. Surprisingly, it's not overly busy here, despite being right in the center of the city."
Favorite neighborhood place(s)?
Bar Parry, a cosy and hip place for a little wine and small dishes. The atmosphere there is really nice. They also have a good restaurant around the corner where I haven’t been to for too long called Balthazar’s Keuken.
Koffiespot is my go-to spot for daily juices or coffee, and their matcha cake is really good too!
- Bussia is known for its fantastic focaccias and cakes. They also have a lovely little restaurant and terrace area where you can sit and watch the hustle and bustle of the Nine Streets. It’s nice for a little stop while walking the city.
- Just across from Bussia, there’s Cafe de Hoek, where you can enjoy a Dutch Pancake with cheese, bacon and stroop.
- Screaming beans serves the best coffee and granola bars. I enjoy sitting in the window or in the back, often by myself.
- If you’re looking for antique gems, I recommend visiting Antiekcentrum Elandsgracht. There is so much to see there, and the building itself is cool.
- Cafe de Eland, for a little beer or coffee in the weekend or a board game in the afternoon. It has that typical brown cafe ambiance.
- Similarly, Cafe de Pels and De Doffer are also cozy brown cafes that I love. De Doffer now also has good Kaasfondue together with the Kaaswinkel across from them.
- Lastly, if you’re in the mood for the best bagels ever, you must visit Bread Winner. Be prepared to wait in line as they are not always open. This is not an Instagram hype, its the real deal!
Favorite place at home and why?
The living room, because it’s the center of our home. Our home is very old and our wish is to rebuild it, but the kids ruin everything :-) and we like to let them feel free in here. So, for the time being, this is how it remains, and we genuinely love the fact that it has a unique and characteristic charm."
You’ve just opened a beautiful gallery/atelier/shop, congratulations! Please tell us all about it.
"Yes! I am so so happy! I had been searching for a new atelier, and it was quite challenging to find the right one. So, I had the idea of opening a little shop instead. It's much easier for people to walk in or contact me, and it allows me to showcase my work exactly the way I envision it. It truly is the best decision, as it has become my absolute happy place.
The gallery is conveniently located in my street, Hazenstraat, and it is absolutely amazing! Being so close to home, school, and everything else, it's like having my own little place where I can do whatever I want!. The feeling is indescribable."
What’s your favorite Gray Label item and why?
For sure the Undies, forever, and the sleeveless Hooded vest looks so good on Penn. Also I love the sandals, The kids always pick them because they walk so good apparently. I absolutely need new ones this Summer!!
Favorite family weekend activity?
Strolling and biking in the bakfiets together, our city is the best!